Skip to content

AriOS 4 64-bit released

Many users asked for a 64-bit version of AriOS 4, and now it’s available for immediate download. The 64-bit version is identical to 32-bit version in terms of apps and features.

Download

NOTE: Some users are reporting that they are greeted by a blank, gray screen specially when running AriOS inside a virtual machine. If you face such a problem, follow the instructions in this post.

19 Comments

1. Dirk Decker wrote:

thank you so much for getting the 64-bit version out so fast. I will try to install and that work my way around the gray screen (if it appears agian).
    very much appreciated work that you’ve done in this short time!

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Permalink
  2. ev wrote:

Thank you. I’m using the 64-bit version with the AriOS desktop and it’s lovely and quick. I should tell you, though I was installing to a desktop PC, I did have the gray screen issue. Following instructions, using Alt+Ctrl=F1, I entered sudo killall Xorg and was taken to the install immediately (without having entered sudo stop/start lightdm). The only trouble I ran into was deciding whether or not to unmount other systems. First I said No, because I just didn’t know the correct response. But that led to Ubiguity sticking on “Detecting file systems.” The bar filled, but then it just stuck at the end. I rebooted and chose Yes to unmount other systems. After that, the install went as expected, smoothly and quickly. I only tell you this for your information. I’m very pleased with AriOS. It’s worked perfectly since I installed it several hours ago. Thank you again.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 at 8:36 pm | Permalink
  3. ev wrote:

Edit: I was installing to a desktop PC, using a live DVD, not using a VM, I did have the gray screen issue.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 at 8:40 pm | Permalink
  4. Mahdi wrote:

Many many thanks for your report. I’m sorry about the gray screen bug. I’m glad you like AriOS.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 at 10:12 pm | Permalink
  5. Mahdi wrote:

You’re welcome. Any updates? Did you experience the issue?

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 at 10:18 pm | Permalink
  6. ev wrote:

I meant to say how lovely the AriOS Session (with AWN) is. I checked out the other choices of DE, but this is the nicest of all. I like that minimal panel at top right, instead of one stretched across the whole screen. I also like the menu icon within the AWN dock. I appreciate the icons without text and annoying tooltips. Excellent attention to the finer details. My compliments to the designer.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 at 10:55 pm | Permalink
  7. Dirk Decker wrote:

Hi,
    got that gray screen again not in VM but while booting the DVD, and just followed your workaround … and what a surprise. AriOS is even better than I thought. Thanks again.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 at 11:11 pm | Permalink
  8. Murali wrote:

Hi,

I tried this distro in live edition and was quite impressed with how everything has been configured. if i need to install only one of the 4 different sessions that’s provided, how can i remove the rest? In live mode i searched for *desktop in synaptic but didn’t find the corresponding desktop pkg file for each session, was hoping that would help me remove the ones that i don’t need. Also there are quite a bit of Kde packages bundled, any particular reason why they were added.

Thanks

Friday, October 12, 2012 at 4:47 am | Permalink
  9. friendchp wrote:

سلام
    واقعا فوق العاده کار کردین..خیلی قشنگ و زیبا شده …
    من تا قبل از این با خود اوبونتو کار میکردم و کلی مشکل داشتم با نصب برنامه ها مختلف و نا هماهنگی های شون توی مخازن و ….
    اما شما خیلی هاشونو به بهترین نحو و قشنگترین نحو در اختیار ما قرار دادین ..
    واقعا ممنونم و امیدوارم موفق باشید.

Saturday, October 13, 2012 at 9:54 pm | Permalink
  10. Mahdi wrote:

خواهش میکنم رفیق

Monday, October 15, 2012 at 10:11 am | Permalink
  11. Mahdi wrote:

Which particular session you want to remove? All sessions have their corresponding packages (gnome-shell,unity,gnome-session-fallback).
    KDE libraries are needed by Choqok so if you don’t use it you can safely remove all of them.

Monday, October 15, 2012 at 10:18 am | Permalink
  12. Jan wrote:

Hi

I downloaded the 64-bit version of AriOS, wrote it to a newly formatted (FAT 16) 2.0GB USB stick with Imagewriter, and was reported that all went well.
    But even though, I’m not able to start my PC from the USB stick, my PC boots up and goes to my normal GRUB2 menu … And I am absolutely certain, that my PC is set to be able to boot from USB before anything else, as I have done that several times before.

Ant thoughts of what might have gone wrong for me?

Monday, October 15, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Permalink
  13. Mahdi wrote:

Use the latest version of unetbootin to write it on your usb stick.

Monday, October 15, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Permalink
  14. Jan wrote:

That did the trick, thank you very much.
    Time to explore ;)

Monday, October 15, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Permalink
  15. friendchp wrote:

سلام و خسته نباشید
    من یه سوال داشتم
    از وقتی که آریوس رو نصب کردم همه چی خوبه ..اما یه سری مشکلات هست که نمیدونم چرا پیش اومده و فقط تو آریوس اینطوری شده :
    مثلا وقتی از ترمینال استفاده میکنم بعضی از دستورات مثلا دستور
    history -c
    رو عمل نمیکنه و میگه
    bad option
    ممنون میشم راهنمایی کنید و کمک کنید.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 at 7:23 pm | Permalink
  16. Jose wrote:

Hi! Thanks.

Excuse, how i can make a USB bootable??

i try whith unetbooting and dont works, i try whith lili linux and dont works, i try whith whith POWER ISO 5.4 and dont work.

This distro is not the first linux i install, i know how install more linux dist.

Excume fot my TERRIBLE english xD

Thanks

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 at 7:33 pm | Permalink
  17. Mahdi wrote:

Using the latest version of unetbootin should work. Download here: http://unetbootin.sf.net
    Also make sure your downloaded ISO is not broken.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 at 7:56 pm | Permalink
  18. Jose wrote:

i try whith virtual box and works fine. i have tha last version of unetbootin.

another idea??

thanks for anserme.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 at 8:08 pm | Permalink
  19. Your article AriOS › AriOS 4 64-bit released write very well, thank you share!

Friday, June 7, 2013 at 6:28 am | Permalink