Skip to content

AriOS 4 Development Update

Development of AriOS 4 has begun since a few days ago. The list of features and apps has almost been finalized and we are now tweaking the desktop and ensuring everything works.

On our to-do list we have around 53 tasks to be done before the release. Seems too much, doesn’t it? :)

Hamid is working on the build script (for converting ubuntu ISO to AriOS) and he has made a few changes. I’m adding my own comments and suggestions to the code.

The bad news is that AWN is no longer actively developed. The indicator applet for AWN hasn’t been updated and therefore there are some minor problems which Hamid is trying to solve. It seems that AriOS 4 will be the last version shipped with AWN and we have to use something else for future versions.

We have also plans for writing a couple of extensions for Gnome Shell but it depends on the help from a good friend and whether he can set aside time :)

Regarding the default applications, I’ve prepared a list of high-quality apps to be included in AriOS. More details on that will be posted later.

I’m being convinced that we need a bigger development team. I’m looking for new developers to join us as Hamid cannot do everything alone. If you’re a developer, we’ll be glad to have you in our team. Just send me an email and we’ll discuss things.

13 Comments

1. Steve wrote:

Sad to hear that AWN will be going, please please don’t go the Ubuntu way in using Unity or Gnome 3, I’ve tried both and DEFINITELY cant recommend either with a clear conscience. They are both awful!
    AriOS is a great distro and I was immediately converted after trying Ubuntu 11.10 and Mint 12. I’ve been a Ubuntu user from 8.10 all through to 11.10, but I am now a convert to AriOS and have not looked back.
    Thanks for this excellent system
    Steve.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 12:09 am | Permalink
  2. Mark Bartsch wrote:

I don’t know if you are aware of this but as far indicator apps for awn go …if you install indicator-******-gtk2 whatever the need be sound, application, etc….They will show up in awn. You may know this but if not I wanted to throw support your way…great OS keep up the good work….

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 8:30 am | Permalink
  3. mFat wrote:

Thank you. Yes I know that and I’ve got AWN up and running for this release. However I couldn’t remove the keyboard icon and replace it with text labels (like the previous version), and the power indicator doesn’t show up.
    Good news is that Mint is now available from Mint repos, so we can try try that too.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 9:20 am | Permalink
  4. Mahdi wrote:

We won’t. Our focus has always been on providing a suitable environment for productive users. We’ll do our best to retain the user experience based on the positive feedback from users.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 9:34 am | Permalink
  5. Joe Klemmer wrote:

Quick question regarding AWN: If AWN is open source, what would be the possibility of taking it over and/or forking it?

Sunday, November 27, 2011 at 11:59 pm | Permalink
  6. Mahdi wrote:

Yes AWNis free and open-source and it can be forked. However, it’s a big project and forking will need a professional and hardworking team.

Monday, November 28, 2011 at 10:04 am | Permalink
  7. Inti wrote:

Hi, theres any official note on awn dying?

Friday, December 2, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Permalink
  8. Mahdi wrote:

No official note, but there hasn’t been any updates for a long time. I emailed the lead developer, and he said long-term development was not likely to start again.

Friday, December 2, 2011 at 10:35 pm | Permalink
  9. Sudoku wrote:

I think yours is a great SO and I can’t wait for AriOS 4! Could you please tell us more or less when we can expect it to be released?

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Permalink
  10. Mahdi wrote:

Hopefully in less than 2 weeks.

Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 12:29 am | Permalink
  11. Nicholas Warren wrote:

Enjoy using your OS.
    Easy to find menu and applications, uncluttered desktop and loads of pre installed applications. Keep up the good work!

Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 6:19 am | Permalink
  12. sudoku wrote:

any news?

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 at 5:51 am | Permalink
  13. Sudoku wrote:

…Did you completely abandon the project or something?

Monday, February 27, 2012 at 3:50 am | Permalink