Skip to content

AriOS 4 Final is Out!

AriOS is not just yet another ubuntu remaster. It comes with a slew of features, some of them unique to itself:

• A beautiful, productivity-oriented desktop session using Avant Window Navigator + Compiz/Metacity.
  • A script to auto-detect Nvidia Optimus chips and install Bumblebee software
  • GUI to turn on/off auto-mounting of partitions at boot
  • A handpicked selection of multimedia, graphics and office software

Default desktop:

AriOS Session (with AWN)

And Unity session:

AriOS uses ubuntu repositories as well as a number of trusted, well-known PPAs. So it is 100 percent compatible with ubuntu and could be easily upgraded to later versions. It includes latest updates from ubuntu repositories until October 5, 2012

You’ll find everything you need in AriOS 4.0. Web browsers, image editors and organizers, a powerful office suite, multimedia players and graphics editors. Please note that Adobe’s Flash player has been removed from AriOS as it’s non-free software. We want to stick to free software principles so we do our best not to include non-free software by default. Users can easily install Flash player, either by clicking the “Flash Plugin Installer” on the desktop or by running: sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree in a terminal.

Important package versions:

Download 64-bit version

36 Comments

1. Ankit wrote:

Thanks
    was waiting

A bit disappointing because G3 & unity are included
    would have loved to have a light DE replacing one of those(LXDE)
    So It can be used with less powerful pcs

Saturday, October 6, 2012 at 7:11 pm | Permalink
  2. Carlos Felipe wrote:

A bit disappointing because G3 & unity are included [2]

you killed your own distro, bro.

Saturday, October 6, 2012 at 7:35 pm | Permalink
  3. Mahdi wrote:

The problem is that AWN is no longer being developed. So we have to go for other options.

Saturday, October 6, 2012 at 7:54 pm | Permalink
  4. finid wrote:

“…AWN is no longer being developed,” but you list a unique feature of this distro as “A beautiful, productivity-oriented desktop session using Avant Window Navigator + Compiz/Metacity.”

You can’t be too serious.

And why should I run this distro with Unity, when Ubuntu is available? If you want to go the route of Linux Deepin and Pear Linux, please do so.

Saturday, October 6, 2012 at 8:37 pm | Permalink
  5. Ray wrote:

Just a suggestion, while I like AriOS, perhaps a better option would be replacing unity with cinnamon (totally different types I know, but like the above user said, why use unity at all), and replace AWN with Docky? Just a suggestion…..

Saturday, October 6, 2012 at 8:52 pm | Permalink
  6. Antman wrote:

Then use something else. I like Unity and I am glad that it is included in this distro.

Saturday, October 6, 2012 at 10:39 pm | Permalink
  7. Mahdi wrote:

AWN isn’t dead yet, but as I said it’s not being developed. So although we use it in AriOS we can’t count on it for the long run. That’s why we HAD TO switch to another desktop layout. I was happy with our AWN session, as were AriOS users. And that’s why we will offer this session as long as AWN still works well in ubuntu.

You don’t have to run Unity. AriOS comes with 4 desktops. Choose the one you like and remove the others.

Sunday, October 7, 2012 at 12:33 am | Permalink
  8. Mahdi wrote:

Unity is not our default desktop, so you don’t have to use it. However we’ll remove it if we’re convinced our users don’t like it at all.

We are considering both Docky and Cinnamon for the next release.

Sunday, October 7, 2012 at 12:39 am | Permalink
  9. Ray wrote:

Sweet! Definately something to look forward to :)

Sunday, October 7, 2012 at 8:27 am | Permalink
  10. Glyn wrote:

Especially considering the tiny number of posts, you need to kick the spammers out of your forum if you wish to be taken seriously.

Sunday, October 7, 2012 at 9:50 am | Permalink
  11. Mahdi wrote:

You’re right. I’m going to launch a new forum.

Sunday, October 7, 2012 at 9:53 am | Permalink
  12. montee wrote:

why no 64 bit version?

Sunday, October 7, 2012 at 7:41 pm | Permalink
  13. Mahdi wrote:

If a few people ask for it I’ll release a 64-bit version too.

Sunday, October 7, 2012 at 8:02 pm | Permalink
  14. Horrace Foster wrote:

I like your decision and it is well thought out, I used to not like ubuntu but after using distros like yours, it makes you rethink the original like ubuntu.Now I appreciate the uniqness of both.

Sunday, October 7, 2012 at 9:13 pm | Permalink
  15. Horrace Foster wrote:

I would like to use it on my main pc, I love 32bit on my netbook,so I would like the 64bit.

Sunday, October 7, 2012 at 9:16 pm | Permalink
  16. PiranhaBurger wrote:

I am hoping for a 64bit release – especially given that the vast majority of cpu’s from the last 5 or so years are 64bit and arios is (seemingly) aimed at desktops.

Sunday, October 7, 2012 at 9:22 pm | Permalink
  17. Mahdi wrote:

I’ll release the 64-bit version in a couple of days then. Hope you guys will like it.

Sunday, October 7, 2012 at 9:39 pm | Permalink
  18. ev wrote:

I look forward to trying the 64-bit version. Thank you.

Sunday, October 7, 2012 at 10:08 pm | Permalink
  19. Eddie Wilson wrote:

Looks like a very promising project. Don’t be put off by the Unity, Gnome3, haters. As you have said several desktop are included and you can remove what you don’t like. Even tho AWN is not under development anymore it still works well and other docks still have some catching up to do. Including Cinnamon in the future would be a good option as long as you also keep the other options as well. Cinnamon still lacks some polish but is making headway. You could even offer a low resource desktop environment in the future. Attention to the small details is what makes a distro shine and I do believe that shows in your project. The choices you give your users and your wiliness to listen to the suggestions of the users is what can make a distro great. You are well on your way to having one of the top distros that will be around for quite a few years. I’m looking forward to the 64 bit version as all my machines are 64 bit. If you need any help testing a 64 bit version I would be glad to help. Thank you for your development and hard work.

Sunday, October 7, 2012 at 10:20 pm | Permalink
  20. Mahdi wrote:

Comments like this are the only reason I tried very hard to keep this project alive during the past three years. I’m happy that users appreciate our attention to details.
    My dream scenario would be setting up a small team to resurrect AWN and write new applets and add gtk3 support to it.
    That way we’ll be able to offer a truly unique user experience.

Sunday, October 7, 2012 at 10:31 pm | Permalink
  21. Brian wrote:

please add 64 bit version. Thank you.

Monday, October 8, 2012 at 9:26 am | Permalink
  22. baldrick wrote:

This looked so good, so I thought I’d give it a try. Unfortunately, when I made a bootable liveUSB using Ubuntu’s Startup Disk Creator I rebooted to the USB stick and it come up with error regarding a missing keyword or something. I also tried UNetbootin, which allowed me to try but when I went to install, it hung at 99% ‘almost finished copying files’ and went no further.

Also, is there a light version for older PC’s?

Cheers.

Monday, October 8, 2012 at 9:56 am | Permalink
  23. Mahdi wrote:

Just wait for the installer to finish. It my look as if it has hung but it hasn’t.

Monday, October 8, 2012 at 10:08 am | Permalink
  24. lkj wrote:

This looks very nice but I can’t seem to install it as a guest in VirtualBox 4.2.1. It seems to hang on the desktop screen.

Monday, October 8, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Permalink
  25. plrndl wrote:

Another vote for the 64-bit version.

Regarding the future, I currently use Ubu 12.04 with Cinnamon (with the panel at the top of the screen, like recent Ubu versions of Gnome 2) and Docky. This works very well for me, almost as good as Gnome 2. The fact that it loooks like OSX is coincidence, not intentional.

Monday, October 8, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Permalink
  26. Mahdi wrote:

That’s weird because I tested this inside Virtualbox 4.1.18 and it works fine. Can you use the system in live mode? Does the problem only occur when you try to install AriOS?

Monday, October 8, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Permalink
  27. Dirk Decker wrote:

I loved the AriOS 3 very much and used it quite a time. I’d have loved to install the 4.0 final, too …. but I can’t get any further than a grey screen. hopefully there’ll be a solution to the booting problems in the 64-bit release if there’s one, at least I’d vote for one. All the screenshots and reviews look so promising that I could switch completely to the best Gnome shell distribution … if I only could boot it.
    Keep up the excellent work!

Monday, October 8, 2012 at 9:08 pm | Permalink
  28. Mahdi wrote:

I’m sorry for this problem. As soon as you see the gray screen, click HOST(usually right Ctrl)+F1 to go to a virtual console and then type sudo killall Xorg

Monday, October 8, 2012 at 9:21 pm | Permalink
  29. Gene wrote:

I also have run into the “gray screen’ problem. Right Ctrl + F1 does nothing on my laptop. It appears to be pinning the cpu usage at 100% if the fan speed and heat are any indication. I checked the md5sum and burned the DVD twice and tried it on two comps. No luck.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 at 7:48 am | Permalink
  30. Mahdi wrote:

Right ctrl+F1 is for people running AriOS inside a virtual machine. You must use Alt+Ctrl+F1

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 at 10:10 am | Permalink
  31. Mahdi wrote:

The 64-bit version is now available for download: https://sourceforge.net/projects/arios/files/4.0/final/INTERNATIONAL/amd64/

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 at 9:30 pm | Permalink
  32. Gene wrote:

Alt+Ctrl+F1 worked fine to get me running live. I shall now test drive it on a hard drive. Thanks. I hope this bug doesn’t stop more people from trying your OS.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 at 10:27 pm | Permalink
  33. GougeMan wrote:

Mahdi – this is a great looking Linux distro. Having the drivers offline is a brilliant idea. More distros need to follow suite with not having to be connected all the time. Enjoying your work over here in the U.S.A. Great job friend!

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 at 1:51 am | Permalink
  34. Faruk wrote:

I’m using Windows 7 and It’s the best!

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 7:58 am | Permalink
  35. ایمان wrote:

سلام دوست عزیز.
    ببخشید تو این نسخه شما هم مشکل کم بودن سرعت اینترنت وجود داره؟
    اگر وجود داره، نمیدونید چطور باید رفعش کرد؟
    خسته شدم بس که تو ابونتو سرعتم کمه

Monday, December 24, 2012 at 5:03 pm | Permalink
  36. ایمان wrote:

No. It’s not Best.

Monday, December 24, 2012 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

6 Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. [...] conocer los detalles de esta versión y descargarla, deberás ingresar al anuncio oficial de ariOS 4, cabe mencionar que únicamente esta disponible en 32 bits. 0.000000 0.000000 [...]

2. Links 7/10/2012: Linux 3.7, GIMP 3 Discussed | Techrights on Sunday, October 7, 2012 at 6:47 pm

[...] AriOS 4 Final is Out! I’m happy to announce AriOS 4.0 Final has been released. Built upon the solid base of ubuntu 12.04 LTS, AriOS comes with GNOME Shell as the default desktop, carefully modified and enhanced using a number of extensions to offer a better and more familiar user experience. [...]

3. AriOS 4.0 has been Released (Based on Ubuntu 12.04) on Tuesday, October 9, 2012 at 11:39 am

[...] a handpicked selection of multimedia, graphics and office software.” Read the rest of the release announcement for more information and [...]

4. AriOS – AriOS 4 64-bit released on Tuesday, October 9, 2012 at 2:29 pm

[...] Many users asked for a 64-bit version of AriOS 4, and now it’s available for immediate download. The 64-bit version is identical to 32-bit version in terms of apps and features. [...]

5. [...] о релизе, а также скачать дистрибутив можно по ссылке: arioslinux.org AriOS download Gnome Linux Shell версия дистрибутив релиз [...]

6. Download AriOS 4.0 on Monday, October 15, 2012 at 5:32 am

[...] piranti lunak pilihan multimedia, grafik dan perkantoran. Detail lebih lanjut dapat anda baca di pengumuman rilis yang juga menyertakan beberapa tangkapan [...]