Skip to content

Poll: Are you happy with GNOME Shell as default desktop?

I need to know if AriOS users are happy with  GNOME Shell as the default desktop. We are starting to work on AriOS 5, so please help me get more feedback so that I can make better decisions:

Are you happy with our decision to use GNOME Shell as the default desktop?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

If you want to elaborate on your answer, don’t hesitate to leave a comment too.

13 Comments

1. ساسان wrote:

Definitely. remove Unity to make ISO much lighter.

Sunday, October 7, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Permalink
  2. Conrad wrote:

Congratulations!

Tried AriOS on live-usb. Quite a good experience overall.

However, have to say that I am not convinced by gnome shell. Requires extra steps to get things launched because of the way the windows open and spread out. Have to click on window to bring that dialog into prominence.

I left Ubuntu because Unity seemed not to be optimal and switched to bodhilinux and find its e17 DE pretty nimble but still lacks the mature feeling of a polished DE like kde or gnome.

I tired Arios on my Acer aspire Timeline 3480 and found, arios very quick to launch and shutdown compared to bodhilinux and very good when compared to e17 when it comes to memory and cpu usage, so, no complaints there. It’s just like I said, I find gnome shell requires too many steps to get things done.

good luck whatever you decide, whether to further customize gnome shell or add/replace it another one. Could be interesting to see you take on E. There are not enough E distros out there :)

Sunday, October 7, 2012 at 11:55 pm | Permalink
  3. Mahdi wrote:

Many thanks for your feedback. Did you also try the AriOS session? I’d love to know if you like it.

Sunday, October 7, 2012 at 11:59 pm | Permalink
  4. Conrad wrote:

AriOS session?
    I don’t know what you mean. Could you elaborate, please? Thank you.

Monday, October 8, 2012 at 1:00 pm | Permalink
  5. Mahdi wrote:

When you log out you can choose your desired session by clicking on the circle near your user name. From there choose either AriOS or AriOS-2d.

Monday, October 8, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Permalink
  6. Conrad wrote:

it asks for login name and password. I guessed a few times and gave up.

Monday, October 8, 2012 at 9:54 pm | Permalink
  7. Mahdi wrote:

The username is arios with no password.

Monday, October 8, 2012 at 9:59 pm | Permalink
  8. vautrin wrote:

excellente distribution, et un régal avec gnome shell, que j’utilise depuis sa sortie
    je vous encourage à continuer à nous gâter
    merci et félicitation pour votre travail

pat

Saturday, October 13, 2012 at 12:18 am | Permalink
  9. Gene J wrote:

My personal preference is Unity, but I know others have their own choices. I am using it on my Sager i5 laptop with Bumblebee activated and am very happy with AriOS and the choice of built-in programs and apps. Even TOR is installed by default. Keep up the good work.

Saturday, October 20, 2012 at 8:49 am | Permalink
  10. Morteza wrote:

i perefer AriOS session.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Permalink
  11. gregzeng wrote:

Upset by the review:
    “AriOS 4.0 review – Overwhelming”, http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/arios-4.html

so encouraged by:

Not Persion (few of us are) … music & my preferences will be changed. Gnome3 – if it does not allow shortcuts to stay on the desktop, I will NOT use it.

Thursday, November 15, 2012 at 8:31 am | Permalink
  12. Daniel Webster wrote:

You have definitely created the best out-of-the-box GNOME Shell presentation, and I prefer GNOME Shell (as the AriOS team has configured it) to alternatives out there like Cinnamon. That being said, this seems to be a turbulent time for GNOME-based desktops. As I understand it, some extension and theme writers are having a hard time keeping up with the pace of changes, and not all GNOME devs are receptive to the existence of extensions and themes for GNOME Shell in the first place. My concern would be that some of the GNOME Shell extensions that AriOS now includes might be discontinued in the future. I also like AriOS’ Awn configuration, but is Awn still being developed? How feasible would it be to continue using it if it is not being actively maintained? Unity is my least favorite interface included, and I feel it could have been excluded from this release (4.0) without impacting the user experience. However, I should note that Unity is actively maintained, and in my opinion it is more user friendly than vanilla GNOME Shell (though Unity would certainly benefit from more configurability). GNOME Fallback mode, which wasn’t great to start with, is set to be discontinued, so I won’t discuss it here.

As far as alternatives go, I’m not crazy about Cinnamon’s mintMenu-esque menu arrangement, but perhaps that can be configured differently. As an aside, as far as file managers, I do prefer the Nemo fork to the recent changes in Nautilus.

Another alternative is GNOME Classic Desktop Environment (from the SolusOS devs), which looks great, but I don’t know how maintainable that will be.

There is also Pantheon (from the elementary devs). Pantheon addresses some of my qualms with Unity and stock GNOME Shell, but still feels geared towards small touchscreen devices. To briefly address file managers again, I prefer Nemo to elementary’s Files, but Files is young and will undoubtedly become more robust with time.

Lastly there is Asturix On, which I wouldn’t even consider. Ranking these options (as they stand today), I would put them in this order:

GNOME Shell (with extensions)
    GNOME Classic Desktop Environment (not GNOME Fallback)
    Awn
    Cinnamon
    Pantheon
    Unity
    GNOME Shell (without extensions)
    Asturix On

Monday, November 19, 2012 at 11:07 pm | Permalink
  13. http:// wrote:

Wonderful website. Plenty of helpful information here.
    I’m sending it to a few buddies ans additionally sharing in delicious. And naturally, thanks on your effort!

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 at 12:41 am | Permalink